What is Pygeum?
Pygeum (Pygeum Africanum) is an herb that is native to Africa and is traditionally used in herbal medicine for a variety of purposes. Supplemental Pygeum is usually extracted from the bark of the Pygeum tree. It is believed to have anti-inflammatory and diuretic properties, and it is often used as a natural remedy for urinary tract conditions, sperm and semen issues, and prostate issues. Some people also use pygeum for its potential benefits for sexual dysfunction and for reducing the symptoms of an enlarged prostate.
How does Pygeum work?
Pygeum may work in a number of ways, depending on the person, including:
- Anti-inflammatory effects: Pygeum may have anti-inflammatory properties, which could potentially help reduce inflammation in the prostate and urinary tract, and BPH.
- Diuretic effects: Pygeum may help increase urine production and flow, which could be beneficial for conditions that cause difficulty with urination.
- Semen Volume: Pygeum can aid in the production of seminal fluid, causing increased semen volume through ejaculation.
- Hormonal effects: Pygeum may have an effect on hormone metabolism, which could be relevant for conditions such as an enlarged prostate or sexual dysfunction.
What is BPH?
BPH, or benign prostatic hyperplasia, is a condition that affects the prostate gland in men. The prostate is a small gland located below the bladder that produces fluids that are part of semen. As men age, the prostate can sometimes become enlarged, which can lead to problems with urination and ejaculation.
Symptoms of BPH may include:
- Frequent urination, especially at night
- Difficulty starting urination or stopping and starting again during urination
- Weak urine stream or a feeling that the bladder is not completely emptied
- Urinary tract infections
- Blood in the urine
BPH is not cancerous and does not increase the risk of prostate cancer. However, it can cause discomfort and disrupt normal urinary function if left untreated. Treatment options for BPH includes medications, supplements, dietary changes, lifestyle changes, and surgery.
What supplements are good for the prostate?
There are a number of supplements that have proven and unproven potential benefits for the prostate.
Saw palmetto: This is an herb that is believed to have anti-inflammatory effects and is often used to treat symptoms of an enlarged prostate.
Pygeum: This is an herb that is native to Africa and is traditionally used in herbal medicine for a variety of purposes, including for urinary tract conditions and prostate issues.
Pumpkin seed oil: This oil is believed to have anti-inflammatory properties and is sometimes used to treat symptoms of an enlarged prostate.
Zinc: This mineral is important for prostate health and may be beneficial for reducing the symptoms of an enlarged prostate.